I had a friend, an artist who designed patterns, motifs for fabrics. She was great, full of fun and passion.
One day she had a big pressure on her, because a great brand asked her to design a whole collection of net curtains.
She worked a lot, as you can guess, and was very stressed out. One night her husband was called by the police : she had to travel by train but forgot to take the other one in the city where there was a train change, and was wandering alone, a bit lost and incoherent.
From this day, she began a strange travel with herself. She had big bursts of angriness, yelling when she was displeased, bursts of enthusiasm – she was “the best” and wanted to eat the world, bursts of depression, staying sad on a chair for days.
You’ll find everything you need with Google. Here are some elements I learned :
- Bipolars act crazy, take illogical decisions, they are very stressed out about the consequences, then they become sicker.
- They are able to spend crazy amounts of money.
- It’s exhausting for the spouse. Patience is the key.
- “Grandiose schemes” can burst out in the middle of normal live, full of love and care.
- Bipolars are not that crazy. They just roller-coaster from slow boredom to grandiosity and endless new “projects”.
- Predictable they are not.
- It’s a path, and if it begins slowly, it can get worse…
I gathered this list of elements. I don’t forget that we can all fall into this, one day…
- Racing thoughts
- Easily distracted, can’t concentrate well
- Exaggerated optimism and self-confidence
- Inflated perspective about abilities and qualities
- Impulsive and reckless behavior
- Poor decision making, rash business decisions
- Shopping sprees, excessive money-spending
- Sexual promiscuity
- Delusions (holding untrue beliefs)
- Hallucinations (seeing and/or hearing things that aren’t there)
- Academic struggles
- Social isolation
- Drug or alcohol use
- Frequent misunderstandings
- Inability to finish projects
- Extreme defiance
- Poor social skills
- Controlling behaviors
- Suicidal thoughts or attempts
This last one is what happened to my friend, the graphic designer…