“It is not enough to know your craft – you have to have feeling. Science is all very well, but for us imagination is worth far more”.
“There is only one true thing: Instantly paint what you see”.
“But to have spontaneity, one must be master of his art”.
These are good little seeds for artists, thinkers, and artists thinkers.
The middle one is linked to the 1st & 3rd.
The pack is like a loop, right? 1 – 2 – 3 then again. A braid.
What’s your braid? When you write a poem, do you tell a story, do you picture a place or a mood, do you work on words as elements : jewelry or photography? If you’re a teacher, what do you weave? Watching the class, the students one by one? Do you invent, or do you follow? In jazz, do you listen to others or do you lead? What about sex? Marketing? Leading a battle? Politics? Making a speech? Being an actor? Conversation?
As always, it’s about
- thinking about what you’re doing
- draw or find lines, frontiers (spontaneity/mastering, freedom/constraint, casual/focus, one tree/the forest, respect rules/mind of your own, etc)
- choose how to balance
- move cursors (and pan scales) is necessery
- be aware of all of it
- or not
Thanks for reading!
Some examples :
- Reason & Pleasure : An Interesting Braid
- Adding from the Other Side – An Interesting Braid Part 2
- #INFJ & #INTJ & the Tango Feeling/Thinking
- Both Sides NOW
- Event VS Structure
- Le Semblant d’Acceptation – I say yes all the time & I have a mind of my own
- “I chose you for your weaknesses” – #Pina
“An artist should be a spontanéiste. There’s the right term. But to have spontaneity, one must be master of his art. Undirected groping never leads anywhere. One must translate one experiences, but translate it instantaneously, so to speak”