This is a pattern exercise, a recipe for thinkers.
Take music you don’t know well (Bartok).
Take a choreographer you don’t know well (Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker).
Choose a short clip of 4 minutes.
- Try to imagine what the choreographer wants
- Watch and note the elements (repetition, hugs, etc)
- Are they symbols or just movements
- Is there a mood-difference, inadequacy between music and gestures
- What happens with musicians
- What do you feel when the music stops but not the dancers
- You have plenty of other Teresa movies on YouTube
- What other arts we don’t know we could explore what could we find and how
- If we extract a tool (example : dance with no music then with music, example : why their dance doesn’t follow music, example : we’re not told what’s between these people), can we transpose it? Where? Photography? Poetry? Teaching?…