In the 90s I played a lot, online, with guys around the world, with Myth II. 4 persons at a time in a small map with, you see, forests and hills. Each player had to lead a small company, with swords and spears, the whole magic medieval stuff. “Real Time Strategy”, they called it. And indeed you had to think about strategy : waiting for the enemy, attacking with small fast commandos, etc. It was possible to chat a little with your opponents, and that made it all fun!
What people really hated here, were campers. Some guy who will find a good high spot and wait here, hidden or protected by rocks and trees. Campers, in fact, never lasted long because the 3 other armies often ally to seek, flush out and destroy the camper. Which seemed a good idea (high position means good arrows range, for example) lead to destruction.
I used to sell books on eBay when it was a smart company. I had to think a lot about strategies : when to sell, how many days, how to present a book, the price, etc. It was fun (and good for business) to see some bidding battles too : how two persons fought to get something.
One strategy (and there are apps and websites for that) is sniping. Snipers do nothing until the last second of the bid. Then they place their price. It works well because they all in a sudden appear for nowhere, and can get a good price for an object : it comes one dollar over the higher bid. So if you attack at €100 something who is, at the moment, at €36, you’ll get it at €37 – unless there’s another sniper around!
What is interesting here? Efficiency, of course. And feelings.
- Snipers and Campers sometimes win. I wonder if it’s a guilty pleasure, though – because it is like cheating, right? Act with surprise, cunning. Aren’t ashamed?
- Their opponents are frustrated and angry if they lose.
- They can be tempted to use the same trick, next time.
- They can seek revenge, or “act worse” (on eBay they can contact the seller and propose a higher price), or use a better cheating skill.
- They can quit (for example in the game : “You’re not funny, camper”).
- They can invent counter-strategies (ally against a camper, use a better tool to snipe).
What is your type? Where else do we encounter snipers and campers? Companies? Love? Art? Can we put them in a box with other cheaters, boot-lickers? What happens in real war time? What’s the thing to do against a sniper? What did Napoléon do with campers?
Thanks for reading!