I recognize it : I’m a miscreant, an unbeliever. There’s no hell, but well, if there’s a bloody one, I probably already have my ticket!
War horrors, terrorist attacks, earthquakes and alphabetical hurricanes (Harvey, Irma, Jose, Katia) are killing people and children, it’s a real mess.
Therefore there’s a constant flood, in social medias, of “Pray for Mexico”, “Pray for Paris”, “Pray for Houston”… “Pray for – insert place here“.
As an atheist, it’s a bit strange, of course. I respect prayers, but I do wonder…
- Do people really pray, or is it just a way of saying “I think of you”?
- If you really pray, do you think you’re heard?
- If there’s a God, does He “need” your prayers to act?
- Is there a quota, a number of prayers needed to reach Him?
- If God hears prayers, what does he do, THEN?
- Has someone already got an answer? Maybe a sign?
- If it gets worse – as usual – is it because He didn’t hear the prayers?
- Why wouldn’t He?
- Or is it a punishment? Like “I did hear your prayer, but… Nope”.
- Is He confused by contradictory prayers? If He is not, how does He chose His camp?
- Which God do you pray according you’re in this or this country? The local One?
- What is a prayer? Is there a typical one, or do you just “ask”?
- Is a prayer a monolog? Is it listened immediately, or later?
- If you don’t believe, can you pray? Thus, what can happen?
- Is this gesture necessary to pray?
- Is it better to pray in silence or voice?
- Could we imagine preventive prayers, like “Please God don’t hurricane Miami, my granma lives there”?
- If yes, does God have a power on meteorological events, earthquakes (really?) or bombing terrorist brains?
- Do you need emojis to add to your social media prayers?
- What if this emoji was a high five instead of praying hands?