You remember, I wrote articles about Manet and modernity, here :
In brief : there was a period in Art when artists really stopped hiding it’s a painting. For example, they were not afraid to show the brushstrokes anymore.
Valéry says : some works of Art want you to dream, others want you to THINK.
Today I read an article about Wes Anderson‘s movie Isle of Dogs, which is an animated film.
The author says that there are two types of animated movies :
- One tries to mimic natural movements, tries to make us forget what we see is the result of photographies in a row, a “reality effect”.
- The other one shows characters as objects or puppets, it brings the audience to the reality of… making. A little cloud of smoke does not hide it’s a little bowl of cotton.
This second “way” (which is Anderson’s way, of course) is exactly the way Manet paints (and after him, the impressionists)… and then…
Another poetry comes from that, you can almost see the animator’s hand. Why do we prefer “this” poetry?
Thanks for reading!
“It is not enough to know your craft – you have to have feeling. Science is all very well, but for us imagination is worth far more”.
“There is only one true thing: Instantly paint what you see”.
“But to have spontaneity, one must be master of his art”.
These are good little seeds for artists, thinkers, and artists thinkers.
The middle one is linked to the 1st & 3rd.
The pack is like a loop, right? 1 – 2 – 3 then again. A braid.
What’s your braid? When you write a poem, do you tell a story, do you picture a place or a mood, do you work on words as elements : jewelry or photography? If you’re a teacher, what do you weave? Watching the class, the students one by one? Do you invent, or do you follow? In jazz, do you listen to others or do you lead? What about sex? Marketing? Leading a battle? Politics? Making a speech? Being an actor? Conversation?
As always, it’s about
- thinking about what you’re doing
- draw or find lines, frontiers (spontaneity/mastering, freedom/constraint, casual/focus, one tree/the forest, respect rules/mind of your own, etc)
- choose how to balance
- move cursors (and pan scales) is necessery
- be aware of all of it
- or not
Thanks for reading!
Some examples :
“An artist should be a spontanéiste. There’s the right term. But to have spontaneity, one must be master of his art. Undirected groping never leads anywhere. One must translate one experiences, but translate it instantaneously, so to speak”