I know how to drive and I had cars when I was young; but when I was 25 I began to… think.
I live in Lille, in the north of France, in a big city with great transit links (tube, tramways, buses, bikes to rent), and can cross the whole country with very fast trains. I can go to Paris in 3-4 hours, but Lille is at ONE hour by TGV train, from downtown Paris!
Thus I decide to sell my car. I had to find a place to live from where I could commute to work easily, that’s all : 25 minutes by foot, 10 minutes by bike. I have a tramway too… if it rains too much.
If it snows I take an umbrella and I walk, I’m like a kid! It’s like walking in a fairy tale, right?
Good city, good links : my “no car” system works pretty well. It’s a strong choice, and I’m happy with it.
- No need to find a place where to park my car
- No car maintenance shit
- Never a flat tire
- No gas, no insurance, etc
- Little satisfaction to not pollute my planet too much
- I don’t have to deal with idiots on the road
- Well, I don’t have to buy a car
- A car is a farting machine, and you’re IN it
I can rent a car whenever I need one. I do it sometimes.
I know you think it’s impossible. I know…
Thanks for reading! Have a nice day!
Instagram : theglobewanderer