For no reason, here are some chronological stages of how men explained the world
- Animism : The belief that objects, places and creatures all possess a distinct spiritual essence.
- Totemism : The tendency of definite social units to become associated with objects and symbols of emotional value.
- Religion : A cultural system of designated behaviors and practices, morals, world views, texts, sanctified places, prophecies, ethics, or organizations, that relates humanity to supernatural, transcendental, or spiritual elements.
- Mythology : A folklore genre consisting of narratives or stories that play a fundamental role in a society, such as foundational tales or origin myths. The main characters in myths are usually gods, demigods or supernatural humans.
- Science : A systematic enterprise that builds and organizes knowledge in the form of testable explanations and predictions about the universe.
Then we can have fun to extract the structure of these stairs, just to apply it on another field.
Or pick up a theme, for example : “Animals”. Totems and first gods (or Egyptian myths) are often animals, then they become human-like, but have natural assets (Zeus and thunder) or sidekick animals.
Or you can fight this, telling that it’s nested and layered, that science uses mythology’s names, for example, or that one comes before the other.
Or you can watch the concept of stories : in religion, most people believe the stories, some think it’s parables. In early centuries, myths were already seen has stories which contains a knowledge.
Thanks for reading!