I work in a bookstore where someone recently asked me about the Parker wine guide.
I answered with a bit of surprise : nobody asked me that in years! I checked and realized that the last Parker guide, in France, was from 2009.
We asked ourselves about how nobody seems to care anymore about Parker.
I remembered the “problems” at the time : the guy was giving notes to wines (from 0 to 100), and he was so powerful (or such an influencer) that wine makers around the world had begun to twiddle their wines around to satisfy him. And the higher notes made some wine unaffordable. And in France we have a suspicion about notes, the idea of “evaluation gives a digit”. Especially in Arts and human activities. Etc.
In fact, there were many “controversies”. The “Mondovino” documentary ( https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0411674/ ) tells a bit about them…
If a wine is Parkered 67/100, is it better than a 63/100? Really?
This leads to many structures :
- The fact that Parker used digits to “note” wines was a problem in itself. Therefore we could note movies, poems, maybe love, why note? “This poem is a 88/100 and my wife is a 76”. Can we do this and why?
- Parker was powerful and listened, and when he titled a book “Bordeaux, The Definitive Guide for the Wines Produced Since 1961”, the impact was huge. What is a “definitive” ranking?
- Why is someone a star of an influencer at one moment and pretty much nothing ten years after? What about the stars we have today?
- What about “controversies”? Should we listen to the cons, always? How to study their arguments?
- What does one do with “Mainstream Tastes”? Do we jump happily in the pool of obedient followers? What is mainstream in a small world of specialists? Why do people follow, and who are those who don’t and try to find less frequented paths?
- What is social pressure when it’s activated by an influencer, a critic?
- If there a “Number One Influencer”, who’s the second (let’s rank the rankers, bim!), and the third? What if we compare them, organize ideas fights?
- What about the minority of the “last followers”, the believers? What if they were right?
Then, again : where to apply and think with these tools? Photography? Movies? Fashion? Anthropology?
This article made you think about other people? Who?
Thanks for reading!
Thanks for reading!
“This is how it should be done: lodge yourself on a stratum, experiment with the opportunities it offers, find an advantageous place on it, find potential movements of deterritorialization, possible lines of flight, experience them, produce flow conjunctions here and there, try out continuums of intensities segment by segment, have a small plot of new land at all times.”