Paul Valéry, in his notebooks, wrote a little paragraph about conversations.
We all know what is a good conversation, right? Valéry throws some elements, like a puzzle (each one could become an article), to understand “this” type conversation :
- Conversations with your own kind, your “very own kind“.
- It’s driven, there’s a thrust.
- You need a favorable evening.
- You drive the conversation together as far as you can.
- It’s a melt of hate and love, it creates a merciless intimacy.
- There’s a growth of mutual divination, clairvoyance.
- There’s a fury, a will to go faster, deeper.
- It’s like a fight, a chess game, intercourse, it’s like running together.
- It’s one proof of the existence of humanity…
What would you add? How is the subject of conversation chosen (or does it fall from the roof, pushed by mood, events, words)? How is it colored by wine, vodka, whatever? What would add, for this puzzle?
Thanks for reading!