– I owe you so much!
– No no no, it’s I who owe you…
- A therapist takes care of his patient.
- Stravinsky or Hindemith were influenced by Bach.
- Someone is watching and analyzing a painting.
All these three examples are simple and clear. You can draw the arrow, right?
We thinkers like to go deeper, though. To find nuances, subtleties :
- There are many ways of listening, of helping someone…
- What are the elements which makes us notice the influence?
- What do we seek – and find in Arts? An emotion? Links?
You can spend months on each, reading books. Refining concepts is a bliss, right? Good!
Today I study one thing : reversibility. It’s meeting a surprise “the other way around”, and it’s charged with intensity :
- A therapist suddenly talks about himself. Instead of listening, he tells his own story. The patient is suddenly captivated. This is a well known trick in this field! Psychotherapists say it gives a stronger link (therefore a power) on a patient. Adding humanity in the bond is a strange and powerful idea…
- Many specialists come to a point where they see where is Bach in Hindemith, but also that there is some Hindemith (1895-1963) in Bach (1665-1750). Two centuries before, OK, but you can study this the other way around – even if you think it’s “not OK”. It’s a game for spirits, to study how the now can be seen as an influence for the past.
- An Art lover studies a painting, a music, and he realizes it works in the other way : the piece of work moves him, changes him, teaches him, overwhelms him. You explore yourself through another person’s work. You are amazed by unconscious and historical forces at stake. Your skin (or your guts) are activated. Astonishment is a trigger for your brain. Then, maybe, you’re… slaked (and this can be in MANY ways), right?
A child comes from a mother, a father. But parents are also transformed by the coming. In the end, the person who is a child gives parents… motherhood and fatherhood.
Mhhh I like that. You feel that I touch something here, oui? Where, in what other examples can you imagine this reversibility process? Business? Couple? Creativity? Ads? Poetry? Where, when it’s obvious “things are going this way”, could you reverse something? Therefore what?
Thanks for reading!