First I found this painting from Belmiro de Almeida (how, why, I don’t remember).
Wondered about what happened in this couple. She cries or at least is weighed down, but by what? And this man is smoking, thinking, probably powerless/helpless, but who knows? Maybe he’s angry? “Here we go again…”.
Is it a break up, a betrayal, jealousy, boredom, romantic disappointment?
Maybe like in Chekhov, it’s just some tears, because of the “something’s lacking in my life” syndrome?
My researches showed me the second painting : a crying woman, a “vacant look” man, and flowers on the ground. Mhhh, who copied the other?
Then I thought about Hopper, of course, with no tears but only a… moment.
I remember that some (female) friends of mine told me many times than their guy “wasn’t really talkative”.
Thus I remembered the “bored couples” series, photographed by Martin Parr – who is a love because he includes himself in the series (he is on two photos of the four I found for you). Parr showed many times he’s a part of what he sees…
So is it even an article? No I don’t think so! I cobbled these together :
- To remember I should find more paintings on this topic (I tried and failed today)
- To think about the idea I found in the Parr link : monogamy is maybe dumb
- To remember that my lady likes my random lectures (I’m a chatterbox)
- To go on liking the “what happens here?” in Arts
- What if a man was crying, and a woman sitting aside, indifferent?
- To remember I have to take care of my partner, even if she’s a real “handful”
- To pass it on to you : what ideas did you get, reading this?
Take care! Have a nice day!
Bored Couples on Display in Public Places